Sunday, July 05, 2009

In case you somehow missed it

This is pretty much made of win:



It's described as "an example of transformative storytelling serving as a pro-feminist visual critique of Edward's character and generally creepy behavior...[and] some of the more sexist gender roles and patriarchal Hollywood themes embedded in the Twilight Saga."

First of all, I jut want to say word to all of that. Second of all, I feel there's a lot to be said here for how Bella/Edward is presented and how that compares to Buffy/Angel and Buffy/Spike. If we're taking a feminist route, there's also a lot to be said about Whedon and feminism, some of which I rambled on about specifically in regards to Dollhouse.

But, honestly, I just want to send this to Stephanie Meyer and possibly tattoo on her forehead "Girls don't find stalking romantic," which, seriously, Stephanie Meyer, what the fuck? Also, I've spent most of the day trying to revise a story that is driving me crazy and Eddie Izzard ("blaspheme, blasphe-you, blasphe-everybody-in-the-room") is currently on my television so I'm a bit useless for anything that requires me to think and use polysyllabic arguments. (Fun fact: that phrase just used up the last of my functioning brain cells!)

ETA: This is the artist of the mashup talking about the experience of the video and the idea behind it. It's fascinating and intelligent and well worth reading.
So just watch this video because it is awesome and join me in missing Buffy.

No comments: